It can be done! from Strapless to Modest!
It was not easy but it can be done. the shirring on the bodice was replicated with matching fabric both satin and sheer nylon. The sheer is cut on the bias and shirred (gathered on both sides) and sewn to the basic piece in satin. I created a new back and shoulder pieces and a section to go across the front to fill the low neck in the front. That was good but then we decided to add sleeves and that made it so lovely. The new back then required a new longer zipper that I sewed in by hand. The shirring made it so sweet. The skirt is gorgeous and frilly. Worth the effort to have all the ruffles. I also added some heavy nylon net on the under-slip to make the skirt stand out more.
It was a labor of love and a great opportunity to get acquainted with this lovely bride who joined our family.
The dress was purchased used. She found a new one just like it priced just under $1000.00
Savings about $750.00 WOW